Why the sense of geographic community here is not apparent? What could help to enhance the community spirit and built strong geographic communities ?
As a Chinese student arriving in Dundee, I found the sense of geographic or locational community is not as apparent as in China. In China, people living in the same area get together in the outdoor space on a regular basis, conducting a series of favorable activities, like doing physical exercises, chatting with a couple of friends and playing chess or cards etc, which shows a strong sense of geographic community. Whereas, When I live in Dundee, I do not see evidences of community outside. It seems a commonplace here that there is not any interaction among neighborhood, even without knowing who the neighbour is.
Therefore, the project is looking at why that is the case. Are their communities behind close door or if there is a different way people organized themselves socializing. I might look things happen in China which might try in Dundee in order to enhance residents’ community spirit and build stronger geographic communities here.
For achieving this, a series of design research and work will be carried out. I will explore the concept of community and what makes a strong community etc to see the big picture of this project based on desk research. Conducting field trip to different geographic communities to find out the real picture. I will also co-work with stakeholders who are residents , community workers and experts from city council so that I get valuable information for coming up with creative design thinking.
- RT @Creative_Dundee: Thanks to everyone who helped make tonight a reality, especially the incomparable young people steering group, from @H… 2 hours ago
- Where it all began - C.Gull shows us images of his chips and curry sauce box seagull models before turning to stree… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- RT @Creative_Dundee: Quintana Beattie is one of the young people who designed tonight’s #PKN_DND with us! She is also an ALL TIME HERO AND… 4 hours ago
- RT @Poorboy_stories: Victoria Potts at #PKN_DND talking passionately and practically about reducing waste and how to live with a lighter ec… 5 hours ago
- @CllrAlexander does a fantastic job of opening the night sharing his memories of growing up in Dundee, that we "don… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago