Why the sense of geographic community here is not apparent? What could help to enhance the community spirit and built strong geographic communities ?
As a Chinese student arriving in Dundee, I found the sense of geographic or locational community is not as apparent as in China. In China, people living in the same area get together in the outdoor space on a regular basis, conducting a series of favorable activities, like doing physical exercises, chatting with a couple of friends and playing chess or cards etc, which shows a strong sense of geographic community. Whereas, When I live in Dundee, I do not see evidences of community outside. It seems a commonplace here that there is not any interaction among neighborhood, even without knowing who the neighbour is.
Therefore, the project is looking at why that is the case. Are their communities behind close door or if there is a different way people organized themselves socializing. I might look things happen in China which might try in Dundee in order to enhance residents’ community spirit and build stronger geographic communities here.
For achieving this, a series of design research and work will be carried out. I will explore the concept of community and what makes a strong community etc to see the big picture of this project based on desk research. Conducting field trip to different geographic communities to find out the real picture. I will also co-work with stakeholders who are residents , community workers and experts from city council so that I get valuable information for coming up with creative design thinking.
- RT @dundee2023: Tickets available for a Dundee 2023 event | Dalhousie Building | 22 August eventbrite.co.uk/e/european-cap… https://t.co/n7s5K1StSc 1 day ago
- RT @dundee2023: Brilliant! Thanks so much @Tim_Burgess for coming and supporting #dundee2023 ! 😍 Huge congrats @carnival56fest team for a g… 2 days ago
- RT @WhimSicALLusH: Next weekend! Find some of us #OpenCloseDundee artists at the market, Dundee City Square! Launching new maps & doing tou… 2 days ago
- RT @VADundee: Our next Design Champion is graphic designer Leanne Young, designer of Scotland’s first ever #BabyBox! #VADchampions https://… 2 days ago
- RT @dundee2023: How would you spend your perfect day in Dundee? Share your thoughts this Sun 13 Aug at Baxter Park! #dundee2023 https://t.c… 6 days ago