Why the sense of geographic community here is not apparent? What could help to enhance the community spirit and built strong geographic communities ?
As a Chinese student arriving in Dundee, I found the sense of geographic or locational community is not as apparent as in China. In China, people living in the same area get together in the outdoor space on a regular basis, conducting a series of favorable activities, like doing physical exercises, chatting with a couple of friends and playing chess or cards etc, which shows a strong sense of geographic community. Whereas, When I live in Dundee, I do not see evidences of community outside. It seems a commonplace here that there is not any interaction among neighborhood, even without knowing who the neighbour is.
Therefore, the project is looking at why that is the case. Are their communities behind close door or if there is a different way people organized themselves socializing. I might look things happen in China which might try in Dundee in order to enhance residents’ community spirit and build stronger geographic communities here.
For achieving this, a series of design research and work will be carried out. I will explore the concept of community and what makes a strong community etc to see the big picture of this project based on desk research. Conducting field trip to different geographic communities to find out the real picture. I will also co-work with stakeholders who are residents , community workers and experts from city council so that I get valuable information for coming up with creative design thinking.
- RT @katelaity: Danny Wallace on... The renaissance of Dundee cntraveller.com/article/dundee… 3 days ago
- Disappointed #Paisley not crowned #UKCityofCulture2021 but great things happen for cities who put culture at the he… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- We will be tuning in to @BBCTheOneShow tonight for the announcement of #UKCityofCulture2021 We are backing #Paisley… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- Our Project Coordinator @anniemarrs headed off to the Mexican city of Puebla last month for the UNESCO sub-networks… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- RT @VADundee: Welcome to our 2017 #VADvent🎄 calendar! Door number 1 was designed by student Lucy Dewar and you can reveal what's behind it… 2 weeks ago