An Illusion of Space
Hospitals make us sick. The effect of a poor environment directly affects wellbeing and recovery times. In The Built Environment and Mental Health,Gary W. Evans said:”The built environment has direct and indirect effects on mental health…” . The emotion will be affect by these environments, thus it will influence the efficiency of things what they do. Especially to the patients who need to live in hospital for a period of time and can’t move, because from Isolation and Mental Health, (NHS National Electronic Library for Health) it said:”people’s natural instincts is when the brain is not receiving much input from the environment, there is little information based in reality that the unconscious can focus on or try to interpret.” And if they have sometimes stay at enclose space and with minimal human contact, they will fell anxiety, depression, and a feeling of being disconnected from the world around them. So what can we do for helping the patients who can’t move and need to stay for a long time in an enclosed space ?
The existing space can’t be changed, therefore, I want to explore new expression forms and creation methods through in-depth analysis and research on the vision illusion of 3D and 2D in graphic design and strive to broaden thinking space and made patients much happier to stay in the place. And also it will be flexible, low cost, changed quickly, low carbon to let the hospital to use.
And I will use the Campus resources, specifically, through attending lectures, seminars, talk with nurses and patients, and referring to relevant publications in the library and some works of good designers in the illusion field, such as Trompe L’oeil which creates an illusion of space and paints an apparently three dimensional image on the wall.
This allow people have a visual hallucination between 3D and 2D, and opening the rooms to a grander scale. I like to make researches on this kind of design works and do conclusion about the expression ways between 3D and 2D to use it into the enclosed space.
WELL BEING AND ENVIRONMENT
1.Bradley E. Karlin; Robert A. Zeiss (2006) Best Practices: Environmental and Therapeutic Issues in Psychiatric Hospital Design: Toward Best Practices [Online] Available at: http://ps.psychiatryonline.org/data/Journals/PSS/3777/06ps1376.pdf
2. Juhani Pallasmaa (2005) The Eyes of The Skin: Architecture and Senses [Online] Available at: http://benv1082.unsw.wikispaces.net/file/view/Eyes+of+the+Skin+Part+1.pdf
3. Roger S. Ulrich (1991) Effects of interior design on wellness: theory and recent scientific research [Online] Available at: http://www.majorhospitalfoundation.org/pdfs/Effects%20of%20Interior%20Design%20on%20Wellness.pdf
4. Hilary Dalke, paul J Littlefair, David L Loe (2006) Lighting and colour for hospital design [Online] Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0030399205001283
5. Roger Ulrich*, Xiaobo Quan, Craig Zimring*, Anjali Joseph (2004) The Role of the Physical Environment in the Hospital of the 21st Century: A Once-in-a-Lifetime Opportunity [Online] Available at: http://mercyidaho.org/pdf/CAH_role_physical_env.pdf
6. Taylor, Shelley E. ; Brown, Jonathon D. (1988) Illusion and well-being: A social psychological perspective on mental health. [Online] Available at: http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/bul/103/2/193.pdf
7. Gombrich, E. H. (2002) Art and Illusion: A Study in the Psychology of Pictorial Representation London: Phaidon Press, 2002.
8. Marshall M. Monroe (1993) Apparatus and method for creating a real image illusion [Online] Available at: http://www.google.com/patents?hl=zh-CN&lr=&vid=USPAT5257130&id=vl8iAAAAEBAJ&oi=fnd&dq=illusion+image&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q=illusion%20image&f=false
9. Jin-Zhu Zhao, De-Lin Wang, Ru-Wen Peng*, and Mu Wang (2011) Watching outside while under a carpet cloak of invisibility [Online] Available at: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1009.2849.pdf
My name is Dan Shen, I come from China and currently study Master of Design at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design in University of Dundee. I like to come into contact with different people and different new things.
I used to study Art & Design in Tongji University in Shanghai. During this period, I realized different design fields, such as environmental design, media design, graphic design… Among these, graphic design was the main course what I learned.
Recently, I am doing the project about how to make the people who can’t move and live in the enclose space in hospital feel wellbeing in illusional way. I am looking forward if you have some suggestions or ideas to share with me. Also if you have any questions fell free to contact with me, I will very glad to discuss with you.