Knight-Mozilla Ideas Jam
University of Dundee
Friday 27th May, 2011 – 09.30 – 18-00
Hosted by Product Design Dundee with Hack/Hackers Edinburgh
Meet DJCAD, Perth Road, Dundee, DD1 4HT
Book now – http://mojodundee.eventbrite.com/
Qualify directly for a yearlong paid fellowship at the Guardian, the BBC and other major news outlets by entering your idea during the jam…..
Mozilla and the Knight-foundation are coming to town for the day. It’s big.
Are you a designer or an artist or a technologist and a creative and want to change the world of news and journalism? Then read on…..
Product Design at the University of Dundee, Mozilla and Hack/Hackers Edinburgh are hosting a one-day workshop to generate ideas about the future of news and journalism for the Knight-Mozilla challenge. Why – because they want to make the web a better place…. and they’re looking for the smartest people on the planet to put into paid fellowships with the world’s leading news organisations – the BBC, The Guardian, The Boston Globe and other major news players. Can art and design change the way the world looks at news – we think you can?
Good at ideas but don’t know about journalism? Don’t worry – we’re kicking off with experts in news, journalism and technology, who will give you everything you need to know to be a journo for a day.
Mozilla are shouting the Pizza and Beers – Product will shout the Irn Bru (we’ll let them know what it is when they get here) – you’re shouting the best ideas you’ve ever had for changing news….
The day will end with an upload of ideas to enter the challenge – make sure your name is on a load of them….
#1 How can we use open video to tell stories on the web in news ways?
#2 How can we reinvent online news discussions?
#3 How can we tap the HTML5 web platform for news?
09.30 Coffee / Irn Bru
10.00 Kick off
Welcome to Dundee – Jon Rogers + Team
Introducing the challenge from Mozilla – Nathan and Dees
Intro from Hack-Hackers Edinburgh – Devon Walshe
Intro from Andy Dickinson+Paul Egglestone
10.30 Digital-Journo for the day –Andy Dickinson + Paul Egglestone
11.30 Flip Out
Go out in teams and make 30 second shorts of the challenges – could be real, could be fictional, could be an animation – just make films that make you think about the challenges. Bring Flips/iPhones/Androids/Whatever-to-make-a-film…
12.30 Pizza and view Flip Outs
Project Flip Outs on walls / show on your laptops / phones / or TVs…
14.00 Idea Gen
Make hundreds of ideas on the challenges
16.30 Drinks – review – upload
Upload your #MoJo challenges for a chance to qualify for that dream internship
18.00 end… or go to the pub – your call?
And finally… the fantastic people at Mozilla are providing the beer and the pizzas!
Get in touch
firstname.lastname@example.org or @ileddigital. Booking will be available in the coming days.
- JOB OPP: We're on the lookout for a graduate to join our team to provide support for Dundee’s bid for ECoC -… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- Promoting a more inclusive society: Read our latest @thecourieruk article by @PAMIS_Scotland director Jenny Miller bit.ly/2sjbKU0 1 week ago
- RT @culture_public: Congrats! @heraldscotland Culture 2017 nominees @CCA_Glasgow @ScotStoryCentre @ccfest @DesignDundee https://t.co/jdN1y4… 1 week ago
- RT @Creative_Dundee: Have you seen our updated and crowdsourced '99 Things to See/Do in Dundee'? It's full of places that make Dundee! http… 2 weeks ago
- RT @VADundee: Time for tea? Our next Design Champion is Nikki McWilliams, creator of beautiful biscuit cushions vandadundee.org/blog/293/Nikki… #VA… 2 weeks ago